Search From Here Directly

Google

Monday, May 14, 2007

opinion not overlooked....

from maddie...

True. I agree wholeheartedly with the comment.

The entire astronaut fiasco raises the fact that when it comes to accomplishments, our government is more into extravagance than actual substance. Quantity over quality. Who cares what the astronauts get out of it? Malaysians get to say 'hey, we sent astronauts to outer space, and well now isn't that impressive?' So the country gets another claim to fame and admittedly, we all share a tinge of pride knowing that we've managed to join other advanced countries in terms of major triumphs. The aftermath, what comes after? Who even thinks that far, right. Hmmph. Doctors are overglorified in Malaysia! Qualifications aside, maybe someone with extensive credentials that are actually related to astronomy would prove to be a more solid investment for the future of space travel in Malaysia. The extent of how much this could benefit the citizens has been compromised, in attempt to provide a little grandeur, by coming up with astronouts that are also (wow!) doctors. Lucky us, our professionals are really diverse when it comes to expertise. How ironic.

And as for 'jalan sana sini'? I prefer thinking of it as an experience. Travelling might be a more leisurely form of activity compared to studying our asses off in the country/place they sent us, but the learning doesn't have to stop, right?

I guess I'm just as guilty as the rest of us when it comes to spending scholarship allowance for trips to visit friends here and there. It's likely I have ended up splurging every once in a while too. Have I actually gained something from it all? That's left to personal opinion. I'm inclined to believe that we all do.

We owe it to ourselves to be the insightful, discerning individuals that they picked to send abroad.

We owe it to those tax payers (my dad included too) to be something more, not yet another of the governments many failings.

So as long as you know in your heart that it's not all in jest, whatever people say and all their criticism really can't be taken to heart. We are aware of how screwed up things have become back in our beloved homeland and we want to make an active effort to change it.

Thats surely a start, right.

1 comment:

The Spasmodic Scribbler said...

I totally agree with Maddie.I do believe travelling gives us a wealthy of experiences,learning new cultures etc.We have the right to say that,because I do believe,we do learn something.

That's what I told to the person who asked me about my expenditure here,as an overseas student.

But he wasn't happy with the fact that while we travel all over the globe,learning new things,get to see new places,he and his dad have to work their asses off to pay for our "travelling expenses".Money spent is not justified.He told me the money could have been saved, or the government should have given less than what we have as allowance now so that we are not wasting their money.Let me quote something from him:

"Bapak aku keje clerk je,bayar tax penat2,dh nak pencen tp haji pun x dpt pegi lg,korang dh sronok2 gi jalan sana sini gune duit rakyat"

I was flabbergasted.Shocked.And was embarassed.What he said was so true.

For the time being,we can't do much about it.We still have this desire to experience new place,our hearts are hankering for more learning process (via travelling I mean).I know I do.Deep inside me,I still want to travel,despite knowing it's the people's money.(Jahat ke aku?).But lets just promise,doctors to be,engineers to be,we are going to return to our homeland and return back the money we owed to the people by giving our expertise and service.

^_^

Dgr tu Glid,balik jgn x balik.Jgn jd mcm doctors kat UK nih,x balik dh dkt 10,15 thn.